When I had my first baby, I had a HUGE diaper bag, and I brought everything with me and still felt like I always needed something else. By the time my second baby arrived, I got really really good at leaving the house with only the essentials (diapers and wipes), pending on the trip of course. When the girls were littler, I had way more items, luckily we don’t need pacis, burp cloths etc.
Here is my current diaper bag, filled with everything we would need for an afternoon out:
- Diapers (At this age I only pack 2-3 pending on how long we will be out) and a changing pad
- Change of clothes and underwear, plus a big ziplock bag in case there is an accident and I need to contain the mess
- Snacks, snacks, snack! I basically carry a small pantry around with me, now with two kids I have enough snacks to hold them over if we are out during a meal time. I keep the snacks in a zip lock baggie, this way they are contained and easy for my toddler to pull out instead of taking everything out to find what she wants.
- Water bottles for all
- A toy that makes noise, for distraction in the car, diaper changes, etc.
- Miscellaneous items-Chapstick, tissues, mini first aid kit, hand sanitizer, lotion, sunscreen etc.
- A secret treat, I always have something on hand just in case I need to motivate (aka bribe) or distract my toddler.
Here is the link to my favorite diaper bag and its under $90!