I’m not an expert but, I have gone on two maternity leaves and worked full time. Going back to work after having a baby is not only super overwhelming, but brand new territory. Most of us have had the same routine and schedule for a very long time before having kids. Having a new baby not only totally disrupts that schedule, it can make the most prepared person feel out of wack.
- Have a plan and know that plan won’t last long. Not to sound negative…it’s just the truth and it will save you.
- If breast feeding, freeze as much as you can for back up!
- Stop what you are doing by 8 pm (or whatever time works for you) to relax and unwind since a mamas day really never ends
- Don’t pick a fight in the middle of the night, easier said then done, but it gets easier
- Remember this is only a phase and nothing will last good or bad
- Meal plan, otherwise you will end up eating cereal or popcorn for dinner
- Give yourself extra prep time
- Give yourself a break and be kind to yourself
- Stock up on coffee and wine (if that’s your thing)
- Pack bags the night before (purse, work bag/pump bag, diaper bag, lunch etc.)
Know that it’s okay to enjoy work and feel like you can’t do it all. Let got of work/life balance because its kinda BS. Maybe one day there will be a balance until then embrace the beautiful chaos!